October 28, 2018 Veterinarian In Palm Beach Gardens

Dangerous Halloween Candies for Pets

Halloween is associated with spooky haunted houses, pet Halloween costumes and most of all, Halloween candy! Certain types of candy can be toxic and very dangerous to pets. Below are five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs and cats.


Dangerous Halloween Candies for Pets


1. Candy Corn & Other High Sugar Candy

Candies that are made with pure sugar can cause severe gas and diarrhea. The sugar not only provides a great source of food for gut bacteria to indulge on, it can also pull water into the colon and cause a bad case of diarrhea.


2. Chocolate Covered Raisins

These tasty treats combine two potentially deadly ingredients in dogs and cats. Chocolate is toxic to pets and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. Raisins (and other grape products) can cause severe kidney failure. The two of these combined is the ultimate toxic nightmare for pets. If your pet eats any chocolate covered raisins this Halloween, take them to your veterinarian immediately for treatment.


3. Candy with Wrappers

When dogs get into the candy bowl, they don’t usually bother to unwrap the treats first. Plastic and foil wrappers pose a health risk since they can cause an obstruction in the intestines and irritate the lining of the GI tract. Sometimes, pets can pass the wrappers without a problem, but it is best to keep all wrapped treats away from pets just in case.



4. Bite-size Hard Candy

Hard candy often has a delicious taste to dogs. These treats pose a major choking hazard for pets. Hard candy becomes slippery when mixed with saliva and it can be inhaled into the trachea (wind pipe), causing a choking hazard. Be sure to keep these candies away from dogs and cats.


5. Sugar-Free Gum

This type of gum may contain Xylitol, a sugar-substitute. Xylitol is perfectly safe in people, but it can be deadly if ingested by a dog or cat.

Xylitol causes a very severe drop in blood sugar that can happen within minutes after ingestion. Pets may become lethargic, unable to walk and start having seizures. If they survive the initial symptoms, they often will have severe liver damage and potentially fatal liver failure. This is the most dangerous type of Halloween candy for pets.


Keep your pet safe this Halloween by keeping all of your Halloween treats in a safe, secure place.

This article was created by Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best. Founded in 2005, Pets Best offers pet health insurance plans for dogs and cats across the U.S. since 2005.


Coming Soon to VSH!

This August, we will begin offering Dermatology Services.